There is no holiday food more traditional than a turkey. Change things up this year and smoke your turkey on a kamado grill. Kamado grills are the most versatile type of grill on the market: they grill, smoke, sear, roast, and bake. Smoking your holiday turkey on a kamado grill is a sure way to impress your guests and provide a delicious main course for the crowd.
Smoked Turkey on a Kamado Grill Recipe
Whole turkey (12-16 lbs)
1 onion cut in two halves
1 handful of celery tops
½ bottle of dry white wine
Dry Rub ingredients:
½ cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. garlic salt
1 tbsp. onion salt
1 tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. chilli powder
- Slide your hand gently between the breast and the skin of the turkey to separate the skin, being careful to not tear the skin. Apply a gentle sprinkling of the rub under the skin and all over the exterior of the turkey, to ensure that you’re getting flavor into both the breast meat and the crispy skin.
- After applying the dry rub, load the turkey onto the rack, place a drip tray underneath. Within the drip tray, you’ll have the white wine, carrot, onion halves and celery tops.
- Set your kamado up for indirect cooking by either placing a heat deflector stones between the fire and the cooking grates or taking advantage of a higher cooking grate if you have a kamado grill that’s already set up for indirect cooking. Don’t forget to make sure your wood chips and charcoal are ready to go before putting in your heat deflector plates, if using them.
- Stabilize the cooking temperature at 170°C or 350°F and smoke your turkey over the maple wood chips for approximately 12 minutes per pound. Use a temperature probe to check the temperature of the bird in both the breast and the thigh, you need a reading of 75°C or 165°F.
- After this, make sure to let your turkey rest for a couple of hours before carving so that it continues to absorb the flavors and juices. You can use the white wine and vegetables from the drip tray as a gravy if you’d like.
Carve, serve & enjoy your kamado-cooked smoked turkey!
What is a Kamado Grill?
Kamado grills are excellent at smoking because they’re crafted using premium ceramic that locks in smoke inside the grill. The smoke produced by the lit charcoal and wood chips then infuses the food with rich, juicy and smoky flavor – sure to be your tastiest holiday turkey yet!